The kitchen is the social hub of many homes and should be a place that feels spacious and comfortable for family and friends to enjoy each other’s company. If your kitchen has been feeling a little small lately, but you like your home and don’t fancy the hassle of moving, a kitchen extension is an ideal option for you.
There are several types of extensions through which you can increase your kitchen floor space and incorporate features that you previously didn’t have room for. Whether you’ve always fancied a kitchen island or would love to accommodate a dining table with chairs, a home extension can revolutionise the heart of your home. As experts in kitchen extensions in Billericay, we can help inspire you with kitchen extension ideas to begin piecing together your design.
Stunning Kitchen Extension Ideas UK
Kitchen extensions have become increasingly popular in the home renovation industry, with many of our clients opting for a single or double-storey extension to enhance their living space. Unlike renovation alternatives such as conservatories, home extensions allow you to create a space that is seamlessly incorporated into your home, making it feel bigger and brighter without losing or changing the aesthetics of your property; unless you wish to do so. You can choose everything from the layout, shape and size of your home extension to the materials used on the roof, doors and windows, making it easier than ever to tailor your space to your needs and style preferences.
- Side Kitchen Extension Ideas
- L-Shaped Kitchen Extension Ideas
- Kitchen Diner Extension Ideas
- Bright Kitchen Extension Ideas
- Interior Design Ideas For Your Kitchen Extension
- Kitchen Extension Ideas Before And After Completion
JVH Building Services Project – Rear Kitchen Extension
Many newly built properties have been designed with a small garden, which is why some homeowners feel that they are unable to extend their home and kitchen. However, with a side return extension, you can increase your living space without having to compromise your garden size. This type of extension is built onto the side of the home rather than the back, making it an ideal choice for homeowners with space on either side. Side return extensions are an excellent use of unoccupied space and enable those with semi-detached homes to extend their properties without affecting the neighbouring property. If your kitchen is situated on a side of the home with available space, this may be the perfect way to increase its size without sacrificing any of your garden.
If you decide to go for a side return extension, you can choose between a single and double-storey extension. There are benefits to each of these options. A double-storey extension will provide you with a little more space upstairs as well as downstairs, while a single-storey extension leaves the option to install Velux windows (also known as skylights) or a glass lean-to roof to allow more light into the kitchen space. By adding windows over the extended area, you can elevate the feeling of your kitchen by making it brighter and more open, ensuring that you get the most out of your new home addition. If you are unsure whether this is the route for you and would like to know more about the benefits of side extensions, then we suggest taking a look at the handy article featured on Real Homes.
JVH Building Services Project – House Renovation
If you like the idea of a side extension but would like to add a little more space, an L-shaped extension is a perfect option for you. This is where the extension wraps around both the side and back of the property. Not only does this option increase space in your home, but it also gives you greater freedom in your interior design than a simpler side return extension. Since your property is extended both widthways and lengthways, an L-shaped extension can allow you to accommodate large features that you previously couldn’t. For example, a kitchen island could be comfortably fitted, creating more work surface and storage space, and a large dining table could be added to bring family and friends together.
Usually, the L-shaped extension is designed and built as a single-storey extension, but you can opt for a double-storey for a more dramatic transformation of your home. If you are looking for L-shaped kitchen extension ideas, we suggest building the side extension with a tiled roof while installing a glass roof or lantern over the rear extension and creating your dining space underneath. This will help make the perfect open-space setting for your dining area, bringing sunlight into your home year-round, while you can incorporate kitchen appliances in the tiled roof area.
JVH Building Services Project – L-Shaped Extension
If you’re sick of TV dinners or lugging crockery from the kitchen through the house for sit-down dinners, a diner extension is for you. Many standard kitchens are not big enough to accommodate a proper table and dining chairs without becoming overcrowded, meaning that family dinners are often had in another room. This is inconvenient when serving and clearing tableware, causing stress at a time of day that should be relaxing and enjoyable.
A diner kitchen extension will enable you to accommodate the appropriate dining furniture into your culinary space, transforming your mealtime experience. Dishes can be transferred from stove to table in a matter of seconds, streamlining your dinnertime routine while keeping food messes to one space for easy cleanup. By dining in your kitchen, you can turn it into the true heart of your home, where family memories are made, and dinner party guests are entertained without you having to disappear into a different room every 15 minutes.
JVH Building Services Project – Kitchen Diner Extension And Full House Refurbishment
Light is your best friend when you have a small space to work with. Incorporating features such as bi-folding doors, Velux windows and lanterns in your home extension can help you maximise the amount of natural light let in, making the space feel bigger. Here are some extension design ideas to help you achieve this:
- Roof Lanterns – these lanterns mimic a conservatory style roof integrated into a tiled roof. They allow natural light to enter the home from above, making the space feel brighter and more open. When designing kitchen extensions in Basildon with our team, our clients love to incorporate these bespoke lanterns into their layouts.
- Pitched Roof Skylights – a pitched roof is a slanted roof used for single-storey extensions and can be fitted with a roof lantern, or a large Velux window/skylight. This roof style emulates a large cottage with high-rise ceilings, making the smallest of spaces feel big. Take a look at this gorgeous Pinterest board for some skylight inspiration!
- Aluminium Bi-folding Doors – these doors allow you to incorporate a panoramic garden view into the kitchen while maximising light. These doors can be fitted from ceiling to floor, allowing you to enjoy nature year-round from the comfort of your home. Best of all, bi-folding doors can be fully opened for light and ventilation in the summer.
- Install Extra Light Fixtures – when designing your extension, be sure to include plenty of light fixtures so that you can illuminate your spacious new kitchen at night.
- Colour Palettes – decorating your space in a light colour palette will make it feel larger, as pale colours reflect light better than dark ones. Opt for creams, light greys or even bright yellows and blues over darker shades.
- Use Mirrors – mirrors reflect light back into your space, making it feel bigger and brighter. They also make stunning decor and are incredibly versatile. This is demonstrated by the gorgeous kitchen mirror ideas featured on Shelterness!
The right decor is essential to turn your kitchen extension into the ultimate socialising hub. Consider your desired aesthetic for your kitchen and what features will help make the room more functional. Here are some of our favourite features that are popular in our kitchen extensions in Thurrock to take into consideration when planning your new home addition:
- Kitchen Island – whether you incorporate a breakfast table into your kitchen island or use it to maximise food preparation space, this popular kitchen can add a beautiful and elegant character to your kitchen design.
- Smart Storage – without efficient storage methods for your cooking appliances and tinned goods, a kitchen can begin to feel cramped. Smart storage solutions, such as pull-out larders, can help you make the most out of your kitchen space, ensuring that every inch of the cupboards is full.
- Built-In Microwaves – microwaves can take up valuable space on the counter, making the work surface feel cramped. However, a built-in microwave oven can resolve this issue while also adding to the luxurious feel of your kitchen design.
- Vented Hobs – extractor hoods can take up valuable storage space and often look bulky. Instead, why not opt for a vented hob? These appliances have extractor fans incorporated into the hob, allowing you to maximise space.
If you are looking for design ideas and need a professional helping hand to transform your kitchen and bring your vision to life, why not contact our team for some design advice? Our team is highly skilled in designing bespoke kitchens with a range of stunning features, including various storage solutions, luxury worktops, and additional accessories.
JVH Building Services Project – Single-Storey Extension
For a visual demonstration of the process, results of these extension types and some more interior decor inspiration, check out these kitchen extension ideas before and after completion!
This gorgeous extension transforms this kitchen space from dull and cramped to sleek and spacious with luxury kitchen appliances, elegant light fixtures and a kitchen island.
JVH Building Services Project – Kitchen Extension
By undergoing an L-shaped extension, this home was transformed into a spacious, well-lit haven. This type of extension is the perfect option for those with dreams of a luxurious, open-plan kitchen.
JVH Building Services Project – L-Shaped Extension
If you are looking for kitchen diner ideas, this stunning example of a house extension is the perfect source of inspiration. It shows how an unused area can be transformed into a gorgeously spacious and modern kitchen diner, illuminated by a combination of large skylights and stunning light fixtures.
JVH Building Services Project – Rear Kitchen Extension
Endless Design Ideas For Your Kitchen Extension
With these home extension ideas, you can create a kitchen with a spacious and comfortable atmosphere that makes spending time with friends and family all the more enjoyable. A kitchen extension is an excellent investment to make, allowing you to grow your living space without moving house while increasing the value of your property.
If you are interested in a home or kitchen extension, or you would like to know more about how we can help you achieve the property of your dreams, then please feel free to contact our team, who regularly complete kitchen extensions in Brentwood and the surrounding areas. For some small kitchen extension inspiration, check out our previous article.